Go to content Go to the menu Go to the search

Quick access, personalized services

You are a student from a Non-European country

You would like to apply for a bachelors program, first year (Licence niveau 1 (L1) ) or first year of Health studies (PAES)


Foreign applicants wishing to register with a French University must demonstrate that their level of French is sufficient to enable them to effectively follow the program. If you do not come from a francophone country, you need a certificate proving your successful completion of a French language test (for example TCF, TEF or DELF).    
The required level of French for studies at Sorbonne University is B2. Sorbonne University does not offer Bachelor programs in English.

If you have obtained or will receive a French baccalauréat:

Candidates residing in France or abroad that are current or future French baccalauréat holders must connect to the Parcoursup portal between January 22nd and March 13th (dates mandatory).

If you do not have French nationality and you have or will obtain a foreign degree:

Students with a foreign diploma of secondary education who wish to apply for the 1st year of a bachelor's program must file a Request for Admission Prerequisite (DAP in French) between December 3, 2018 and February 1, 2019.

1.  Preparing your application

Between December 3, 2018 and February 1, 2019 of the preceeding academic year (beginning of September), you must obtain the application form ‘Demande d’Admission Préalable (DAP).


You must then follow the procedure corresponding to your profile:

If you do not have French nationality and you do not live in France:

Sorbonne University and Campus France work together, and therefore foreign students residing in one of the 31 countries with a Campus France local office must apply to Sorbonne University using the the Campus France CEF procedure (www."name of the country".campusfrance.org) before February 1, 2019. You can find a list of countries connected to Campus France here. The application procedure (DAP) is provided on the different Campus France websites. 

If you reside in a country not represented by Campus France, then you must submit a White File (Dossier blanc) to the Department of Cooperation and Cultural Action of the French Embassy in your country of origin before February 1, 2019.

If you do not have French nationality, but you reside in France AND you have a valid residence permit (carte de séjour)

The application form, (a green file/"dossier vert") can be obtain from the nearest French public university. You must show your residence permit, valid for at least a year. You can also download the file from the Ministry of Higher Education and Research website.

Please note: You do not need a DAP if you originate from a non-European country and if you:

  • already have a degree from a French institution
  • are already registered in another French university
  • are a child of a diplomat working in Paris
  • are a holder of a ‘carte de l’OFPRA’

If you are in one of these situations, then click here (27 KB)  for more information.


Please note: If you have French nationality and you have obtained your baccalauréat/diploma abroad, you do not apply via DAP.  You must apply through the Parcoursup portal.

 2.  Application

Complete the document, white/green, with your contact details, your choices (three universities maximum) and bring the white file to the Department of Culture at the French Embassy in your country of origin or the green file to the university of your choice.

The application must be sent before February 1, 2019 of the preceding academic year. If you must apply via Campus France, then you need to create an account and make an application via the software Pastel on the Campus France website of your country before February 1, 2019

Attention: If you want to submit a dossier Vert (Green file) and you reside far from your first choice university, then you can pass the French language test (TCF) in your home town university. In this case, you must send your application to this university.

If you have already passed the TCF and you want to submit a dossier VERT (Green) but you have missed the deadline of February 1, 2019 to send your DAP application; contact the Pôle Scolarité  or the Scolarité en médecine for more information. In all other cases you cannot apply at Sorbonne University for the year 2019-2020.

 3. Reception of the responses 

You should receive a response from your first-choice university before the 30th of April and if this response is negative, a response from the second-choice university should be sent before the 31st of May. The third-choice university must respond to you before the 30th of June. 
There is no possibility of appeal if all three universities respond negatively.

4.  Registration

Send a letter of confirmation before the 31st of July to your host university to prepare your registration and your student visa application. 

Students who wish to enroll in the 2nd year of a bachelor program are advised to also apply for the 1st year of the bachelor at the same time. This is because admission of the university is granted following an examination of each application by a pedagogical commission that judges whether the candidate's prior studies meet the program requirements. If they do not, the candidate may only be able to enter the degree program in the 1st year.

If you would like to apply for the 2nd or 3rd  year of a bachelor's (Licence 2 or 3),  or for the 1st or 2nd year of a Master's (Master 1 and 2)


Please note: Sorbonne University works with Campus France, so foreign students residing in one of the 31 countries with a Campus France local office must apply to Sorbonne University using the Campus France CEF procedure (www."name of the country".campusfrance.org) before the 31st of March. You can find a list of countries connected to Campus France.


The schedule for those who must apply via Campus France:

  • Create an account on the Etudes en France website and register via the software Pastel before the 31st of March of the preceding the academic year. You can select up to 10 programs at the master level.
  • An interview at the Campus France local office by the 30th of May
  • Consultation of your application by Sorbonne University via  the Etudes en France site
  • Notification of the response to students via Campus France, by the latest 30th June, for those starting their courses in September.

If you reside in France or in a country that is not a member of Campus France; you can directly apply online on the Sorbonne University website without connecting to Campus France. This can be done from mid-May to the end of june for the 2nd and 3rd years of a bachelor's (L2 and L3) and from mid-April until the end of June for the 1st and 2nd year of a master's (M1 and M2).

In the application form downloaded from our website, you must indicate your choice of bachelor's (Licence) or master's (max 2 options). You will then receive a password and a username with which you can follow the progress of your application. Send your application to the secretaries that are indicated on your application form. Once you are accepted, you will receive a confirmation on the Internet. You must then confirm your agreement.


Attention: Unlike applicants for the first year of the bachelor (L1), you are not subjected to a language test. A good level of French is nevertheless recommended because the majority of the courses are given in French.


Administrative Steps:

To follow the 2nd or 3rd year of a bachelor's (L2/L3) or the Master, you need a student visa. It is strongly recommended that you arrange a meeting with the Centre pour les études en France (CEF) or with the Department of Culture at the Embassy of France in your country at the same time as you apply online for the master, since the procedure to obtain a visa can last several months. If you already have a titre de séjour in France then you must renew it by making an appointment at your local police station.



Please note, when you submit your application for the 2nd year of a bachelor's  (L2), your level of registration will be evaluated by an education committee, who will judge your record and may decide to admit you in the first (L1) instead of the second year (L2) and if you have not submitted the DAP, your registration will not be validated.

If you would like to apply for Health studies:

If you want to apply for the first year of medicine you need to complete a DAP form and select “Etudes de Santé”. If your country is connected to Campus France you need to apply through this organization. The deadline for applications is the 22nd of January.
If you have any questions, you must contact the Scolarité PAES (Scolarite-PCEM1 @ upmc.fr). You will also obtain useful information for your enrollment.

For further information regarding medicine at Sorbonne University, you can consult the Faculty of Medicine website, the Scolarité (Scolarite-PCEM1 @ upmc.fr) for information relating to the 1st year or M. Alexandre LECCAS  (Alexandre.Leccas @ upmc.fr) for all other information.

Attention: The French regulations do not allow you to directly enroll in Medicine in France. Students having started medical studies abroad and who wish to continue in France are still required to enroll in the 1st year.

Please also note that classes in medicine are entirely taught in French and that our university cannot accept you without an excellent level of French .


Traductions :


International Welcome Office


Zamansky Tower

16th floor, office 1605


tél. +33 (0)1 44 27 41 16

delphine.dieudonne @ sorbonne-universite.fr


Opening hours:

Monday- Thursday, 9:30-17:00

Friday, 14:30-17:00